Hawaiian Lau Lau
Steamed boneless pork, chicken or beef salted and wrapped in taro or ti leaves.
• 30 luau leaves
• 6 large ti leaves
• 6 boneless chicken thighs
• 1 lb belly pork boneless pork chops, cut into 6 pieces
• 1/4 lb salted butterfish, cut into 6 pieces
• 1-1/2 teaspoon Hawaiian sea salt
• Toothpicks or rubber bands to seal
Wash luau and ti leaves removing stems and fibrous parts of the veins. Layer 5 luau leaves then place one piece each of chicken, pork, and fish on luau. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon Hawaiian salt. Wrap to form a bundle. Place the bundle on the end of a ti leaf and wrap tightly; fasten with toothpicks or rubber bands. Wrap remaining bundles. Bring water to a boil in a steamer. Place laulaus in steamer; lower heat and simmer for 6 hours or until done. Serves 6 people.