How to make coconut bread just like the
Tahitian Village at The Polynesian Cultural Center!
2 cups fresh coconut, grated (if not available, use unsweetened coconut from the store)
4 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degres
2. In a large bowl, mix coconut and baking powder
3. Add sugar and water
4. Add flour
5. Mix all ingredients to a doughy texture, adding flour as needed so that the dough is not too sticky (hint: use some coconut oil on your hands to prevent them from getting sticky)
6. Breakdough into 5 pieces of equal size – roll each piece into a log and wrap in aluminum foil
7. Bake in the oven for 1 – 1 1/5 hours.
Nina Jones, a mainland gal from way back, is now a transplanted Islander. With her husband of 39 years, she volunteers at the Polynesian Cultural Center. Her hobbies include swimming, traveling, studying and writing about what she is learning from the various Polynesian cultures. Her blogs focus on their history, beliefs, practices and – as an added bonus – delicious food! To her, Polynesia is not just a place to visit, it is a way to live and she is very honored to be able to be a part of their amazing world.