MOANIKEALA Hula &
September 2 - 7, 2019 - Come join us for a week-long celebration, to perpetuate Hawaii's culture, language, art, and practices through workshops, concerts and activities.
History of the festival
The annual Moanikeala Hula Festival seeks to preserve, perpetuate, educate and celebrate all forms of hula, while sharing the traditional storytelling and culture with the people of Hawaii as well as visitors from across the globe.
Named after Sally Moanikeala Woods, a key figure in the development of the hula on the North Shore of Oahu, her legacy continues through the many famous Kumu (instructors) who were themselves taught by Aunty Sally.
Over the past few years, the Polynesian Cultural Center’s Moanikeala festival has been a single day event bringing halau’s from across the world to perform against the backdrop of the Center’s Hawaiian Village.
2019 brings expansion to the Moanikeala
2019 is the beginning of a new format, which continues the grand tradition of the Moanikeala event, bringing the highest caliber of hula performance to the stage.
The extended week-long festivities include daily hula, ukulele, and Niihau shell lei workshops in addition to the festival the final day, which gathers performers of all ages, some as young as two-years-old to take the stage and showcase the grace, beauty and history of hula. During the annual hoike (exhibition), hula halau from around the world and from the Hawaiian Islands share their story, which also includes a traditional oli (Hawaiian chant) to further perpetuate the awareness and the differences in hula styles.
Festival and Ticket Information
Activities will be held at the Polynesian Cultural Center and the Courtyard by Marriott Oahu North Shore.
Polynesian Cultural Center
55-370 Kamehameha Highway, Laie, Hawaii
Courtyard by Marriott Oahu North Shore
55-400 Kamehameha Highway, Laie, Hawaii
PRICING FOR EVENTS AND WORKSHOPS:
The Polynesian Cultural Center is offering two events:
- Moanikeala Concert on Friday in the Hawaii Village at PCC, 9/6 - $10.
- Moanikeala Hula Festival on Saturday, 9/7 in the Hawaii Village at PCC- $10, includes all PCC workshops except Lauhala. *Pick your tickets up on day of event or workshop at our special desk in the Welcome Center, across from the Prime Rib Buffet.
The following combo packages are also available:
- PACKAGE A: $18 per person. Includes access to All Polynesian Cultural Center hosted festival workshops, events and the Friday night concert, except for the Wednesday Lauhala Weaving Workshop.
- PACKAGE B: $60 per person. Includes everything listed in Package A plus admission to the Wednesday Lauhala Workshop (price includes supplies). *Pick your tickets up on day of event or workshop at our special desk in the Welcome Center, across from the Prime Rib Buffet.
All events held at the Courtyard by Marriott Oahu North Shore are priced separately. Please check schedule below for ala carte pricing per event.
*Pick your tickets up on day of event or workshop in the lobby of the Courtyard by Marriott Oahu North Shore
Parking is free and admission varies by activity. (See schedule for pricing.)
DOOR PRIZES AT EVERY EVENT!
We will be giving out prizes throughout the Moanikeala event, with a Grand prize to be given at the Concert on Friday night. The prizes include ukuleles, gift certificates, CDs, movie tickets, and a grand prize package that includes a 3 night stay at the Courtyard by Marriott Oahu North Shore, 2 Alii Luau Ticket Packages to the Center, and 2 Kaena Farms Zipline passes. The Grand Prize will be awarded at the Friday night concert. The more events you attend, the more chances you have! Recipient must be present at each drawing to win door prizes presented at that event.
FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO PURCHASE TICKETS:
- For the Polynesian Cultural Center hosted events, contact the PCC Call Center at 808-293-3333.
- For Courtyard by Marriott hosted events, contact the hotel at 808-293-4900.